Your Friendly Hometown Vet in Robertsdale, Alabama

4 Dangers to Dogs & Cats Every Pet Owner Should Look Out For This Halloween

4 Dangers to Dogs & Cats Every Pet Owner Should Look Out For This Halloween

Halloween is synonymous with candy, lots of candy. Not only do humans love these sugary treats, but your pets do, too. However, they’re not good for them as many candies are poisonous to your cats and dogs. Even the ones that aren’t toxic should not be consumed as high amounts of sugar can cause complications. 

Here are some of the top hazards to your pets this Halloween:

 

Candy and Candy Wrappers

Not all Halloween treats may be toxic to pets, large amounts of sugary, high-fat candy can cause problems. It may even lead to pancreatitis which can show up even four days later.

Look for these symptoms if you believe your pet ate too much candy:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea 
  • Lethargy 
  • Pain in the abdomen 

There could be potentially even more issues if your cat or dog ingested the wrapper as it could cause a bowel obstruction. 

Signs to watch out for:

  • Vomiting
  • Straining to make a bowel movement
  • No bowel movements
  • Lethargy 

 

Chocolate 

Is it even Halloween if there’s no chocolate candies like Reese’s or Snickers? While most humans can safely consume chocolate, pets are another story…

Chocolate is poisonous to both dogs and cats. More specifically, the methylxanthine chemicals in chocolate are what cause pets to become sick. In fact, the APCC ranked chocolate #4 on their list of top pet toxins. 

Pet owners need to know that not all chocolate is created equal. If it’s darker and more bitter, then it’s more toxic. Even one ounce of baking chocolates could make a 50-pound dog sick. 

Here are the symptoms you should look out for if your pet has consumed chocolate:

  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Raised heart rate
  • Increased thirst
  • Agitation
  • Seizures (in more severe cases)

 

Raisins

Every Halloween, there’s that one house who prefers to pass out healthy treats like little boxes of raisins. These are extremely harmful to dogs and even cats. Since even small amounts can cause kidney failure, raisin ingestion should be treated as a serious medical emergency. 

Symptoms of raisin poisoning in animals include:

  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Pain in the abdomen
  • Decline in appetite
  • Severe kidney failure

 

Glow Items

Glow sticks and jewelry have become all the rage. Kids are wearing them and houses are passing them out as treats. While glow items aren’t edible, many pets beg to differ. In fact, cats appear to be the biggest offender when it comes to biting into a glow stick. 

Here’s the good news… more than likely, the situation is not life-threatening. While the contents can irritate the mouth and cause drooling, your pet should be just fine in all likelihood. 

 

What To Do If Your Pet Has Ingested Something 

Step 1: Assess the situation. 

What kind of candy did they eat? Did it contain chocolate or raisins? How much did they ingest? Did they eat the wrapper, too?

 

Step 2: Consider the size of your pet.

How much do they weigh? When it comes to chocolate ingestion, you can even use an online calculator to get an idea of how serious the situation is. 

Here’s one from PetMD.com: https://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity 

 

Step 3: Call your vet or animal poison control.

If you’ve determined that your pet could be in trouble, it’s time to call the vet as it may require an urgent visit.

In order to avoid this terrible situation entirely, make sure to keep candy and other items out of reach. If you have children, monitor them and where they’re putting their candy. 

As your hometown veterinarian, Robertsdale Animal Clinic makes your pet’s wellness our number-one priority. Book your pet’s appointment today by calling 251-947-7297!

 

Dr. Alan Moore

Robertsdale Animal Clinic

Address:

18535-B Co Rd 48

Robertsdale, AL 36567

Phone: 251-947-7297

Email: info@robertsdaleanimalclinic.com 

 

Resources:

https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/pet-owners/seasons/halloween/#:~:text=To%20avoid%20issues%2C%20keep%20Halloween,and%20in%20severe%20cases%2C%20seizures.

 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/03/08/dog-ate-chocolate-what-to-do/9430312002/ 

2 Responses

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *